Thread: New to RC - London ON

Rookie Member O.G. LRC Feedback Score 0
    Last Online
    03-11-2017 @ 09:41 PM

New to RC - London ON

Hello from London!

I'm an RC newbie who's been contemplating venturing into the hobby for many years. I first created this account in 2011 and never ended up going through with my "initiation" to the RC world. 5 years later, the RC itch still hasn't been scratched and I'm confident that I can get my money's worth over the following years to come.

But, I need some direction.

There isn't any specific discipline that draws me in much more than the others. I love the art of drifting, but I more so love the thrill of competition. I'd like to participate in leagues/tournaments but I'd like to stay as local as possible (within a couple hours optimally). I'm also pretty impartial about nitro vs. electric. I love tinkering and I'll enjoy either or. But if I had to pick, I'd go electric.

My interest leans more towards on-road racing (carpet or pavement) though I haven't been able to find any active communities in the London area.

I like the looks of the fifth scale offroad/onroad chamionship series (RC Acres - Canada's Premiere 1/5 Scale Racing Facility) though I understand that fifth scale is one of the more expensive disciplines of the hobby and maybe not so beginner-friendly.

I just want to know if anyone from the London area could direct me towards some good leagues or groups that have active racing schedules (monthly or bi-weekly).
    Is there any london area meetups where I could go talk to some of you pros & maybe try out a car for the first time?

Also is anyone involved in the fifth scale racing scene? I like the looks of the on-road rally series. Do people still race it? Its difficult to find information online.

Any help is appreciated (:
    Thanks so much!

PS. I'm open to first-car suggestions. Really liking fifth scale, if the scene in the London area is big enough. Open to used or new models, but would prefer new.

RC Forumz Hall of Fame Member O.G. LRC Feedback Score 1 (100%) David Brock's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-15-2017 @ 09:09 PM
    I;m not into 1/sth scale (gas) nowhere to run. You have a couple of options to find info. Amazing Hobbies On Wellington, (Peter) is the owner can probably put you in touch with guys in London who run 1/5th. The others are FaceBook groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1611391932408041/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/700843283320994/

That's the best I can do for you I hope it helps.
    Slash 4x4, Axial SCX10, Proboat Sensibal, Air-Tech 400C J3 Cub.

Rookie Member O.G. LRC Feedback Score 0
    Last Online
    03-11-2017 @ 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brock View Post
    That's the best I can do for you I hope it helps.
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll be contacting Peter ASAP.

RC Forumz Hall of Fame Member O.G. LRC Feedback Score 1 (100%) David Brock's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-15-2017 @ 09:09 PM
    The biggest " Scene" im London and surounding area is scail trail trucks. YOu get closer to Toroto a you can find and off-road leagues and tracks. I'd love to get a multi suface Rally league like this one going but would even settle for Rally cross....
    Slash 4x4, Axial SCX10, Proboat Sensibal, Air-Tech 400C J3 Cub.

Junior Member O.G. LRC Feedback Score 0
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Where do the scale trail operators go?

I would like to get racing I like the look of onroad cars but time always seems to run out for me.

wouldn't mind checking out the trail tricks some crawlers look interesting.

The Rally looks interesting nice track and cool looking cars, but reminds me of the cars and trucks I had when I was a kid with the wire going from the car to the control.

still looks fun too out of shape to try it but would like to see it someday
    Last edited by cman; 03-11-2017 at 11:39 PM.